If you suffer an injury while you are doing your job, you may be entitled to receive work injury benefits. You’ll need to take certain steps after the injury in order to make certain that you protect your rights to get benefits. Since many employees are not allowed to file a lawsuit against an employer under Georgia’s workers’ compensation rules, it is important that you understand the process of getting work injury benefits so you will be able to recover the money you need to avoid serious financial loss when an injury occurs.
An Atlanta work injury lawyer can help you to take the right steps after getting hurt on-the-job so you can obtain the benefits that the law says you’re entitled to if you get hurt while performing work tasks.
If you can make a successful workers’ compensation claim, you should be entitled to get your medical bills paid and should be entitled to get disability income though workers’ comp as well. Contact an attorney to guide you though the process of what you need to do after getting hurt.
Five Steps to Take After an On-the-Job Injury
To ensure you can successfully protect your ability to make a workers’ compensation claim, five key steps you should take after you get hurt include:
- Notify your employer of your work injury: You should alert your employer to the fact you got hurt right away. Telling your employer about your injury is a prerequisite to a workers’ comp claim. If you wait too long, you could hurt your claim and make it harder to get benefits.
- See a medical doctor: You want proof of the extent of your injuries and proof that the injuries were work-related. Seeing a doctor and getting a diagnosis right away allows you to ensure you have a record of the injuries in case there are questions about how badly you were hurt.
- Write down your account of events: You may face many questions about how the injury happened as you try to obtain workers’ compensation benefits. If you write down what you remember about the incident that caused you to get hurt, it will be much easier for you to remember what to say when you are interviewed about the accident.
- Get the contact information of witnesses: If there are questions about how you got hurt at work, you’ll want to know what co-workers and other witnesses can back up your story about how you got hurt.
- Talk with a workers’ compensation lawyer: An attorney will help you to provide notice of your accident and injuries to your employer and will help with the process of making a work injury claim.
An Atlanta workplace accident lawyer can provide assistance at every step of the process of responding to a work injury and making a claim for benefits. Don’t hesitate to get the legal help you need to protect your rights as an injured worker under Georgia law.